Been in Jakarta for almost 6 months and realized that I haven't really been anywhere nor done anything, especially in the last few months. The 1st few months were pretty ok; the novelty was exciting, the meeting friends and partying was new and fun! But now I've gotten into a rut, which is surprising considering I'm in a completely foreign land with hundreds of places to explore and millions of people to meet (233 million to be exact)! I pretty much spend my weekdays counting the hours til I get home, then spend the night in the gym, finding dinner, watching TV or reading. Friday nights, which used to start only at 12 midnight, now finds me snoring contentedly by 1030 PM! I try to wake up relatively early on Saturdays, around 830 to 9, to catch my morning yoga class. After which, I just have lunch in the mall or gym area, then go home and watch more TV/DVDs. I don't even go out Saturday nights anymore! Sundays are spent dreading the work week to come.
Right now, I'm in a coffee shop attempting to get some work done. Lovely Indonesian place called Bakoel Koffie, with magazines, game boards (including sungka!!), free wifi, and adaptors/extension cords galore! These are the type of places that truly understand who goes to coffee shops! What I'd give for a real bluebery muffin though! :(
More presentation sheets for a visit from the gods next Monday. Sigh, so sick of endless sheets. Been here for an hour and have not even had the energy to open the files. Dread, dread, dread...Still haven't found my work motivation. Coaching people is not doing it for me. Moving the country's processes forward is not enticing either. Had a talk with one of the senior managers and she suggested using retirement as a motivation. As in, saving enough money to retire early. Sounds promising...and very Chinese! Based on initial computations though, need to save P5.7 million a year if I want to retire by 45! (assuming I reach the ripe old age of 80)
Seriously need to jumpstart my immersion into Indonesia. Some things I WILL make happen in the next few months:
1. Make more friends
2. Explore other regions
3. Study photography already!
4. Learn the language already!
5. Find a way to look forward to work (but how???)
Sunday, November 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment